USA | Le Bureau Export New York organises a panel at APAP (NYC – 3/8 January 2019)
- Le Bureau Export
- Professional event
- Popular music
- Classical music
- North America
APAP is a professional conference gathering artists, managers, and agents along with 400 representatives of performing arts, production and live industry.
On the 5th of January, for the third day of the APAP Conference, Le Bureau Export New York Director organised a panel entitled “Launching International Artists in the US”. Three special guests were invited to take part to the discussion:
- Mehmet Dede (DROM/Gypsy Music Festival)
- Erika Elliot (Summerstage)
- Sandrine Ligabue (Consulat de Suisse)
Le panel tackled several aspects of export strategies: booking, marketing, presence on social media, the role of export offices for countries having such institution, visas and taxes-related questions.
Among the key-advise, ones to remember are:
- Define one’s project prior to launch on the American market – is a one-off concert, a tour, developping an artist’s carreer in the US?
- Find out about administrative procedures regarding visas and plan well in advance (up to 6-9 months in advance)
- Share venues and festivals’ online promotion. Be creative on social media.
- Prefer orginal and “authentic” projects. As there are a lot of musicians in the US, bookers tend to select artists with a specific profile or artists, who embody a cultural tradition.
- Leon on local communities (e.g. French-speaking community for French artists) to attract more fans and promote concerts.
The course of the discussion drew up the lines of a practical guide to the attending professionals. The panel was successful, addressing to a full-venue.