Germany | French Music Journalism awarded at Reeperbahn Festival
Reeperbahn Festival’s International Music Journalism Awards has announced the 2018 winners – Julien Jaubert and Belkacem Bahlouli have been selected by the French Jury. Both will receive their awards at the Reeperbahn Festival and will take part at the Conference.
For the second time, Reeperbahn Festival will host the Awards Ceremony for the International Music Journalism Awards (IMJA).
In a context in which original journalism is ever more challenging to be produced, the IMJA aims at shedding light on outstanding individual work and first-rate ongoing journalistic engagement that focusses on popular music and its business climate. The IMJA pays a special attention to the work of young music journalists.
For the first time this year and in association with Le Bureau Export, the IMJA opened its selection to French-written papers. The French jury composed of Mélissa Phulpin (Melissa PR), Yves Bigot (TV5 Monde) and Hervé Riesen (Radio France) have selected Belkacem Bahlouli (Rolling Stone, France) and Julien Jaubert (Yard).
The shortlisted journalists were:
Best Music Journalist of the Year :
- Winner: Belkacem Bahlouli // Rolling Stone, France
- Laurent Chalumeau // Author
- Olivier Lamm // Libération
Best Work of Music Journalism – Text :
- Winner: Julien Jaubert // La santé mentale: succès dans le rap américain… (Yard Media)
- Valerie Lehoux // La vie secrete de la chanson francaise (Telerama)
- Francis Dorodor // David Byrne répond à Trump en publiant une playlist des « pays de merde » (Les Inrockuptibles)
- Sophian Fanen // Rappeurs, les nouveaux yéyés du stream (Les Jours)
The Awards Ceremony will take place on Friday, the 21st of September at 4.45p.m. during the Reeperbahn Festival.
Earlier that day, Belkacem Bahlouli will take part to the panel “Poptones International” alongside Charlotte Gunn (NME, UK) et Mary Anne Hobbs (BBC, UK).
Other media specialists will take part to panels about the state of musical journalism and the stakes of new journalistic formats.
Speakers includes the likes of Michael Lohrmann (Visions, Germany), Daniel Koch (ex- Intro, Germany) et Rembert Stiewe (WDR/Glitterhouse, Germany).